This tutorial will take you through the process of installing the official MySQL Workbench, and using it to connect to a database hosted with us. There are many other MySQL clients that you can use to connect, however this tutorial only covers the MySQL Workbench because it is an official product from the developers of MySQL.
- First you need to download the latest version of the software. At the time of writing, it could be downloaded from the following location:
If you find that this link has changed, please let us know so that we can update this article! It is available for a few different platforms, and in source form, most people will want to download the Windows version which is what we will be covering in this tutorial. Linux and Mac users can download a version to use on their operating system, however it may differ slightly from what is mentioned in this tutorial. We recommend the MSI installer.
- Run the installer file that you have downloaded, and follow through the installer instructions. The install is a fairly standard Windows installation.
- Now that it is installed, you can start it from the "MySQL" folder in your Start Menu.
- You will now be at the main screen (above). On the left hand side, click the "New Connection" button to start entering the connection details (which will be saved for the future).
- Enter the connection information into the screen you are now presented with. You can call the connection anything that you wish. In the "hostname" box you should enter either "uk.mysql5.yourwebservers.com" or "us.mysql5.yourwebservers.com" depending on which servers you are on. The database screen in Helm will tell you which one it should be. Enter "13307" into the port box, as the default port 3306 will not work for security reasons.
- The next box is for the database username. This is the one that you entered to setup a database user on the database screen of Helm (a list of usrs you have setup is displayed at the bottom of the database screen in Helm).
- Now click "Store in Vault" and enter the password that goes with the username you have entered. Now press OK to save these details.
- Your connection will now appear in the list on the left hand side. You can double click on it to connect. In the future, you can skip steps 4-7 and do this straight away, as your connection details are stored for the future.
- Now that you are logged in, you are presented with the screen that allows you to manage your databases. You can enter a query into the middle area straight away and run it, or manage tables and other objects from the list on the left.
This has just been a quick overview of Workbench and how to connect using it. People who are experienced with the SQL language should not have any trouble using the software. If you are not experienced with the language, you may wish to read some internet articles, books etc about SQL so that you can use it in your websites that you host with us. If you are just trying to install a pre-made script from elsewhere, simply pasting the SQL script in and pressing execute should be all that you need to do. If you have any questions about connecting to our servers, please contact support. Unfortunatley we are unable to assist with issues regarding writing scripts etc, however there are many internet forums, information sites etc which you may find useful if you have any problems.